24 June 2009

[Imported] Novorossisk Chimes

Sorry for the lack of updates lately. I was in Virginia this weekend theme parking it up once again, and I've been busy these last couple of days going through my photos, writing up a trip report, and working on a puzzle FROM HELL with my mom. Seriously, this puzzle makes me want to slit my wrists, which is a real shame since it's a picture of Noah's Ark, and I don't think it's God's intention for something based on a biblical story to stir up a suicidal urge in me. There's definitely a disconnect there.

Anyway, this is gonna be a music post, and I know how unpopular those are, so I'm sure I'll have lost 80% of my readers (that's right, 4 of the 5 of you) by the time I finish this sentence. Still, this is what you're getting today.

Fire of Eternal Glory - Dmitri Shostakovitch
(as played by the Phantom Regiment Drum Corps)

I first heard this piece when I was in a clinic band in high school, and I fell in love with it right then and there, and it's been one of my favorites ever since. I had my itunes set to random play today and this one popped up; and while I hadn't forgotten about this song, when I heard it once again, I was reminded of how beautiful it is.

How beautiful is it? It's SO DAMN BEAUTIFUL that this is the song that I'm walking down the aisle to when I get married (in the Italian Pavilion at Epcot, just in case I haven't said that enough). I think I decided on this song about four years ago, shortly after I chose names for my future ten kids and drew up the floor plans for my future house. And just to freak the guys out some more, I can guarantee you that 99.9% of women you meet have just as much planned out as I do (if not MORE) before they've graduated high school. The other 0.1% is Hillary Clinton.

Anyway, all the bride's maids walk down the aisle for the first part of the piece, the cute little flower girl shows up around 53 seconds, and I come in, sobbing my eyes out, around 1:18.

Now, I just have to get my hands on a shortened version of Ravel's Bolero to dance the First Dance to at the reception.

No comments:

Post a Comment