24 June 2009

[Imported] So, I almost drowned in my living room last night

The title pretty much sums up the story, but for those of you who are really into details, it went like this:

I was home alone, sitting in a chair, and drinking water. Now, let me just say that I've drunk (drank? I don't even know) water before. In fact, I've had many a liquid in my time, but water...well, considering the 64 ounces I drink a day, I would go so far as to say that I am a professional downer of the H2O. When it comes to the intake of a refreshing beverage, I SWEAR KNOW WHAT I'M DOING.

Or, I did until last night, it would seem. I took a normal sip, I let it slide normally down my esophagus, and then I felt it not-so-normally hit my lungs. I don't know what happened - I didn't try to breathe in air at the same time, I just swallowed as one typically swallow a liquid, and somehow the flap to my lungs (that's the medical term, right? the flap?) opened up and let it all in. I instantly started coughing uncontrollably - in between desperate gasps for air - and due to the scrunched-up, not-coughing-friendly position I had been in on the couch, I instinctively dropped to the floor and got on all fours, which was pretty much my only option since (and you're all going to love this) all the water was coming up, and I couldn't exactly run to the sink.

This lasted for about 3 minutes, which is a REALLY long time to be coughing up all of one tablespoon of water, but I obviously survived the whole ordeal*, as embarrassing as it was (luckily no one saw me, but now the entire internet can pretend they did).

*Or rather, I've survived so far. I say "so far," beacuse about two minutes ago I read this article:

According to the Centers for Disease Control, some 3,600 people drowned in 2005, the most recent year for which there are statistics. Some 10 to 15 percent of those deaths was classified as "dry drowning," which can occur up to 24 hours after a small amount of water gets into the lungs. In children, that can happen during a bath. So, I'm pretty much going to spend the next 2 1/2 hours watching the clock to make sure I'm still alive and breathing.

I'll let you now how it all turns out.

P.S. Also, take a moment to reflect on the irony of this article coming out the day I get "a small amount of water" in my lungs.

P.P.S. Yes, I realize that a young child actually DID die from this, and don't think that just because I didn't mention it I'm some self-centered bitch. I acknowledge the real tragedy that this article addresses.

No comments:

Post a Comment